Friday, January 13, 2012
Birdseed Cake Recipe...
For those of you who might think this sounds like fun...here is the recipe:
Twine, string, or ribbon
Unflavored geletin powder such as Knox brand
Waxed paper or plastic wrap
Shaped cookie cutters that have no tops...the metal goes around the design
2 Tablespoons of clear corn syrup
1. For each cake, cut out a 12" lenth of twine, string, or ribbon. Loop and tie the end in a knot.
2. Mix 1/2 oz gelatin (2 packets of Knox). corn syrup, and 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir well to dissolve completely.
3. Add about 1-1/2 cups of birdseed to gelatin mixture. Mix Well. If mixture is still watery, add more birdseed until it has a stiff, but sticky consistency. (We were using birdseed with larger particles in it and it seemed we needed more than the recipe called for to make it stiff, but sticky. I think I used almost 4 cups. Just add until it isn't watery anymore and you can pack it in the cutters.)
4. Line your cookie sheet with waxed paper or platic wrap. Place cookie cutters about 1" apart on the cookie sheet.
5. Fill each cookie cutter half-full of birdseed mixture. Place knotted end of hanging loop on top center of mixture. Fill cookie cutter with more birdseed mixture on top of the loop. Firmly press mixture with back of a spoon to compact into place.
6. After a few hours (worked better to let it sit over night) gently unmold each cake onto the waxed paper or plastic wrap. Flip these a couple times a day for 72 hours, or until completely hardened before hanging.
7. Have fun!
SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE FUN WE HAD MAKING THESE!